The primary purpose of teacher evaluation is to strengthen individual and collective practices and foster continuing collaborative dialogue around teaching and learning in order to increase student academic growth and development. SEED consists of multiple measures of performance designed to paint an accurate and comprehensive picture of teacher effectiveness.
Note: Student and Educator Support Specialists (SESS) will also take part in the teacher evaluation model as defined within the SEED Handbook. However, because of the unique nature of the roles fulfilled by Student and Educator Support Specialists, the goal-setting process may differ based on the individual educator’s job description and responsibilities. While these educators may have an indirect impact on student achievement, their primary responsibility may not be directly linked to student achievement outcomes. The goal-setting process for this unique group of educators is described in the Connecticut Guidelines for Educator Evaluation.
Teacher Evaluation Categories
- CATEGORY #1: Teacher Performance and Practice (40%) - based on the Connecticut Framework for Teacher Evaluation and Support, which articulates four domains and eighteen components of teacher practice.
- CATEGORY #2: Parent Feedback (10%) - based on teacher practice surveys.
- CATEGORY #3: Student Growth and Development (45%) - as determined by the outcomes of the teacher’s student learning objectives (SLOs).
- CATEGORY #4: Whole-School Student Learning Indicator- as determined by aggregate student learning indicators; and/or Student Feedback (5%) - as determined by student surveys.
Teacher Evaluation Process Timeline
The annual evaluation process between a teacher and an evaluator (principal or designee) is anchored by three performance conversations at the beginning, middle, and end of the year.
Summative Teacher Evaluation Rating
A teacher’s summative rating will be determined by combining as follows:
- Teacher Practice Related Indicators score – is calculated by combining the Observation of Teacher Performance and Practice score and the Parent Feedback score.
- Student Outcomes Related Indicators score- is calculated by combining the Student Growth and Development score and Whole-School Student Learning or Student Feedback score.
- Final Summative Rating- is determined using the Summative Matrix (see the SEED Handbook).
Every educator will receive one of four summative performance ratings:
Levels of Performance
Substantially exceeded target/indicators
Made progress but did not meet target/indicators
Made little or no progress against target/indicators